When telling the truth will surely cost you the job

I read an article from SCMP written by Alan Alanson this afternoon that is quite interesting. I am not going to work in bank, but the questiones Alan raised in the article are indeed very common when have interview.
"How are you?"
"What is your strength?"
"What is your expected salary?"

=====Quote==========
When telling the truth will surely cost you the job
Banker / Road Warrior
ALAN ALANSON
10 Feb 2008
...........
That's the thing with job interviews. You're not really supposed to answer the questions truthfully. For example, when they ask you why you are considering a change of role, the answer is obviously that you're doing it for the money. And everybody knows that of course, but you can't say so. You must say something about how much you admire their institution, the excitement of a new challenge, the opportunity to develop your career. That sort of thing
.........
The first question you'll be asked is something banal like "How are you?" Obviously the answer is not "pretty nervous, a little bit worried about my tie, and generally hoping you haven't read my CV too closely". But it's also not "good" or "fine". This question is designed to give you the opportunity to say something chatty. So, you should say something like "Great thanks. These are really nice offices, how long have you been in this building?" or "I'm fine. I'm glad you're nearby, the weather outside is shocking." Get it?
......Doesn't matter if it's true.
If you are asked what your strongest attribute is, resist the urge to say "coming up with sensible answers to inane questions". Instead talk about your work ethic, that you are a great team player, and a great leader, and always focused on performing at a high level. Slightly more amusing answers I have heard to this question are "I'm very decisive I think" and "My strongest attribute is my strength".
There is one question that really is difficult to answer, and that is "What are your salary expectations?" There is no good answer. If you tell them a number that is lower than they were planning on offering, you cost yourself money. If you tell them a higher figure, then they'll think you're too expensive and you will have cost yourself a job. What you really want to know is how much they are planning to offer you, so you answer by saying that you expect to be paid "in line with the market".
And don't fall for them asking you what you think the "market" is. They know that much better than you do....The best way to make a bad impression is to write something on your CV that you're not ready to be cross-examined on....
======================================================
Oh, sadly that I did wrong in the last few interviews. If I read it earlier, maybe I could cost more in the market. I guessed I am under line with the market????!!!!
I told my friends tonight when "hotpot" again, the thrid in three days, that I read this article in coffee shop, and of course, having my revision. They are surprised and said I was wasting money.Well, if I did not do so, how could I read such interesting article by chance. It worths,right?

留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

OUT

"彭博,你Out 了"

失蹤